The Merry Mart began in 1946 as a small children's department store on Park Avenue in San Jose, California. The next year the store moved one mile to its current location in the Normandy Shopping Center on Washington Street in Santa Clara. With the move came an expansion of items for sale and The Merry Mart became the place to go for children's clothing, shoes, baptismal and First Communion gowns, and books.
The 1950's saw not only big shiny cars with lots of chrome, but also the inclusion of school uniforms for the local Catholic schools. The passing decades saw the evolution of school uniforms from salt & pepper pants, wool skirts with Peter Pan blouses, and Buster Brown shoes to Scotchgarded cotton/poly pants, polyester skirts, polo shirts and Converse All-Stars. With the evolution of uniforms came an increase in the percentage of the business they provided and in 1992 the store became entirely dedicated to selling school uniforms.
The 1990's saw the growth of school uniform business in the public schools, the creation of the first store website and an expansion of floor space into the storefront next door. By the end of the decade The Merry Mart created MM Embroidery to provide custom embroidery to our schools, local businesses and organizations, and individual customers.
The second decade of the 21st century has seen the 70th birthday of The Merry Mart, who has grown from humble origins to its premier status as the provider of school uniforms to more than 100 schools in Northern California, the Pacific Northwest, and many individuals throughout the United States.
The Merry Mart will continue to provide the best quality garments and outstanding customer service into the 22nd century.